Guidelines for scheduling a work session (also listed in Basic Working Member Rules):
- Orientation: You must have completed an orientation session and paid for your membership before scheduling a work session.
- Availability: The darkroom is available for members to use during building open hours, and at other times such as after a class, workshop, orientation session, etc. The darkroom Google calendar reflects this availability (see Calendar below). When the calendar says “Available 9am-5pm”, this means you must arrive at the building within these building open hours. You may schedule a session from 3pm until 1am the next morning, for example, but you must arrive during building open hours.
- How to Schedule: You are able to schedule sessions for yourself on a monthly basis with the form below. You may schedule as many sessions as you need within the current month, as long as your dues are current. Our only limitation on scheduling is that film developing sessions are limited to 4 hours during 10am-6pm.
- Canceling a session: Please provide as much notice as possible if you need to cancel a scheduled session so that the spot can be freed on the calendar and someone else may sign up. Email avldarkroomatgmail.com to cancel a typical session. If you have signed up for an “Assisted Hours/Call Monitor” session, email whoever the monitor is for that time as listed on the calendar (Scott: luxifurratgmail.com; Brit: britdavisphotoatgmail.com; Daniel: danielabideatgmail.com) to cancel your session.
- Tentative Spots: Spots on the Google calendar labeled “Tentative” mean that the room will be available only if a class/workshop actually meets enrollment, or an orientation session runs. Orientation sessions will be confirmed by 8pm the evening before the session, and classes/workshops will be confirmed by 6pm two days before the class/workshop. You may sign up for these spots, just know they won’t be confirmed as available until these timeframes.
- Type of work and the schedule: The first person to sign up for a room during a scheduled time will determine the activity that happens in that room for that time. We have one room for BW processes, and another for color printing and color film developing. Within each room, it is first come, first served for whether the lights are on, off or in safelight. Other activities may be moved to the opposite room if compatibility allows. For example, if someone requests the BW room for printing, another person may be able to develop sheet film with the lights out, but they will have to do so in our color darkroom (if not already booked by a color printer).
- Assisted Hours: These are marked on the calendar, which are hours where a monitor can be present to answer any questions you may have. The monitor is not there to teach or to mix chemistry for you, but will help you if you are new to our space and need some guidance. You can sign up during Assisted Hours even if you do not need a monitor present; just indicate so when you sign up to work. Please be on time to these sessions, as the building is not open to the public and you need to be let in.
- Sign-up deadline: Please sign up for access to the room by 8pm the night before the day you want to work. You can specify which enlarger you want to use, or whether you are developing film, or have another use. Sending your request does not confirm your spot – check the website’s Google calendar, and once you see your name listed there, your spot is confirmed.
- Letting other members in the building: If you are working up until the building’s close time or past it, please check the calendar to see if anyone has signed up to work after you. If so, you are the person who will need to meet the next member to let them in as you leave. You are not responsible for them if they are late to their session, but if you need to leave early or cancel the same day, contact them from the Working Member contact list in the darkroom to let them know.
- No unscheduled walk-ins for work sessions. You may, however, come pick up prints and film from previous work sessions without scheduling. Knock on the door prior to entering the room if the red light is on (work is in session). Otherwise, unauthorized use will result in revocation of membership.
- Payments for current month: Working Membership payments are non-transferable to the following month if you do not work within the paid month.
Please see the descriptions of enlargers on our Equipment page so you can select which enlarger you may need for your film size.
Take a look at our darkroom Google calendar below, then sign up for a time with our form below the calendar.